CSB Publishing Settings · Using FTP · Search engines: Spiders & Robots · Meta Tag, Keywords, Page Properties · Frames or No-Frames? · Subdirectory · Working Window · Design file image errors · Design file will not save · Publishing Errors · Page Layout · CSB3 & CSB4 Known Issues (Problems) · CSB5 NOTES · Upgrade to CSB5
Upgrade to CSB5
So you want to upgrade to CSB 5. Excellent!
You will need to uninstall the version of Trellix or CSB you are currently using. But before you do, read this information. It might make the move to CSB5 less stressful/worrisome.
HOSTS are stored in the registry and will be lost when you uninstall the program.
Choose File, Publish Web Site, Options, Host Setup tab, click Modify.
Take screen prints and/or write down your hosting settings so you can put them into CSB5. You must have a user name, password, site name and address, and ftp folder (if your hosts use it). You can check with your host if you don't remember the password. *** see notes below if upgrading from CSB 3 or 4.
SAVE YOUR CURRENT SERIAL NUMBER! If you ever wanted to go BACK to your previous version you will need this. You will find the information under the HELP ABOUT section of CSB.
TLX files are your website design files. Make sure all of them are in your MY DOCUMENTS folder and no where near the program files folder or they could be taken out by the uninstall process. You must save all your TLX design files. If you lose these, you lose your website! [make backup copies of this file as you work!] The file extension is shown at the end of the file name in your Explorer window if your computer setting allows it.
WEBSITE DESIGNS are important to some people. You might want to keep some of the old Layout designs for future use. They may or may not convert into CSB5 but if you want to try, you will need to save them from your old program. Visit your program files folder on the c: drive and copy the designs to another folder in your My Documents for future reference.
UPGRADING FROM TRELLIX: Please read this page.
BEFORE YOU UNINSTALL CSB 3 or CSB 4:
Do you want to save your HOST/FTP settings? Don (known as Turtle on the discussion board) has come up with a way to SAVE your HOST settings and bring them into the new version of CSB! This method only takes a couple minutes to do, saving a LOT of time and effort. This is OPTIONAL and not required to use CSB5! NOTE: This involves the Windows Registry, a vital component of your computer system. Use this instruction for advanced users at your own risk.
1) If you have only one host and you have all your settings then you can SKIP this section!
2) If you have a screenprint or documentation for a couple hosts and don't mind reinputting each individually, then you can SKIP the host export if you want!
3) If you deal with several sites and find the task of inputting the hosts a pain in the neck, then the host export comes in quite handy.
4) If you have MANY sites, MANY hosts that you need access (even only once in a while) to maintain or tweak as necessary, then having the host export is a gift! Lots of us have MANY sites, use MANY hosts and the time that is saved by the export is AMAZING. It takes longer to write this than to import all my hosts several times over!
To make it clearer for some folks, the instruction has been expanded. (his statements shown in purple):
- First you go into your WINDOWS REGISTRY FILES go to start > run > regedit
- Turtle recommends a full export of everything to export all to a folder as a backup
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GlobalSCAPE\CuteSITE Builder 3.0\WPProviders\OtherHost
- Now export only the folder that has your host information in it: "right click OtherHost and select EXPORT to the same folder using a file name like csb other hosts" This saves only the one folder not the whole registry. You can close the registry editor for now.
- Use the ADD & REMOVE programs in your computer's control panel to uninstall your current version of CSB. remove csb. This uninstalling takes OUT the REGISTRY folder that holds all your host information that you exported from the registry. Your host data is gone along with the rest of CSB program files.
- Install the new version of CSB. install csb 5
- Now go back into the WINDOWS REGISTRY go back to regedit (go to start > run > regedit).
I like to do another full registry backup at this point. export all to a folder as a backup.
- Now you can put the host information back into the registry again and file import. When you ask to file import, it will ask you to find the file to import so browse to and select the file called csb Other hosts.
- When you are done, the WINDOWS REGISTRY will recognize the new CSB program AND your old hosts!
Two minutes vs potential of tedious time with input, after input, after input, after input, after input....
When you open an existing tlx file with CSB 5, the program will know the file was made with an earlier version of the program as seen in this screen print. Say YES that you want to open the document.
CSB will have a RED TOP BORDER.
DO NOT modify the file until you have done the FILE SAVE AS and assigned a new name. Once the file is converted, you will always open the NEW version of the file, not the old version. Every old tlx file will need to be converted for use in CSB 5.
OPTIONAL SETTINGS YOU CAN ADJUST.